You know that dream you have of becoming a this or that or reaching here or there? What is pursuit of that goal producing in your character? It’s a gentle question with a light reminder that prolonged hunger can sometimes trigger things like irritability, frustration, despair, desperation and just plain stinky-personality syndrome. Our thoughts in moments of stillness when no one else is around reveal a lot, and how we make use of gifted time when there’s nobody physically around.
We might impress people with jam-packed schedules, blink-less stares, meticulous training marathons or busted-up toes but it’s important to do an honest self-check to monitor or better our state of mind and quality of life along the way. Stress and its side effects tend to spill over into moods, habits, interactions and character traits if we’re not conscious.
Focused and obsessed are two different things. A goal (or person) isn’t to be an idol.
How many times have you read about billionaires with poor values, heard about a high-profile someone who slowly or suddenly gave up on life, or watched a heartbreaking documentary of a famous musician who teeter-tottered between creative excellence and mental torment? Quality of life matters. Where do you find yourself on the health and joy scale when it comes to reaching for the dreams or goals you have? I ponder the same thing when high speed seasons kicks in, since I have a tendency to dedicate every ounce of muscle and pour a massive amount of energy and time towards anything I’m working or concentrated on. The purpose in everything matters. Once that’s there and it’s clear – sweet!
Most of it was exhilarating – some moments were relaxing (like in the pic above), but oh the heartbreak and headaches amidst all the highlights. Now, the songs that bubble up is with fresh purpose with fresh joy that springs from a heavenly place, a healthier perspective and a refreshed approach. I get what it’s like to work hard, sleep little, eat barely, and sweat like a mule for your goals while trying to keep up with the curve balls life tends to pelt your way and scurrying to squeeze in time to slow down in between. Mmm mmm. When you serve from a refreshed place and calm countenance you will see the difference for the better and so will whoever comes into contact with you and the seeds Yah plants in your mind and puts on your must-do walk.
Let’s get to this checklist. Don’t feel pressured – this isn’t for points (or me.) Write your replies to the questions coming up, ponder on them in your quiet time and ask Yah to weed out any bad seeds and unhealthy patterns. He’ll power-wash you and help you renew your mind to breathe and live better in step with Him. His timing is best – always in all things.
SELF EXAMINATION CHECKLIST
Some of these questions may be uncomfortable to process; I don’t mean them to be. If it’s too heavy right now, guard your mind, skip that one for now and tackle one that’s lighter. This isn’t a test and I’m not a counsellor; just a sister who is often challenged by the same questions. There’s no time limit to answering these prompts but having the courage to delve into them and pour out each answer on paper is extremely helpful.
These kinds of exercises can sometimes stir up suppressed tears, unaddressed aches and on a brighter note, joyful nudges forward. Don’t bully yourself; be kind. Honest, yes…but kind. The world is rough and getting rougher by the day; treat yourself with love. It’s part of your (unedited) DNA. So…
- What does success look and feel like to you? (P.S: feelings aren’t necessarily truth.)
- Would you say you’re happy about, driven by or obsessed with your dream?
- What’s the air, lighting and volume like in your creative workspace. In a/c or dim booths or rooms a lot? What kind of frequencies resonating there? How often do you open a window, enjoy moments in creation or quiet time? Do you crave or avoid it?
- When you think about that dream, what thought and emotion spring to the surface first? Where did the dream come from? Are you able to enjoy that expression of artistry without becoming consumed with the financial element of it?
- How, what and when are you eating and drinking? Getting any movement in (could be stretching, walking, dance, a swim…)
- What’s it like being around you and how would you know? We can all get pretty self-absorbed when we’re ready; prone to pride and all. Humility is key; it will never trend publicly or truly in this place…but it’s necessary.
- What are the 3 main fruits in your conversations with others? Are they alkaline or acid? Sweet or sour? Hot, warm or cold? Purposeful or idle? 2 things that helps me recognize subtle signs of tension or fatigue are pace and tone of voice, whether mine or somebody else’s. I notice my pitch, breathing and rhythm change when speaking about different subjects or to different people, especially when rushed. Next time you’re reasoning wit someone pay attention to how you speak and what you’re ingesting by listening. Because ‘misery loves company’, anxiety can be contagious if we’re not conscious.
- How do you rest and refresh? Do you rest and refresh or is it go-go-go all the time? How does that affect your creativity, attitude and self-care routine when no-one’s looking, listening or applauding? Make a note to make a change for the better if you notice a pattern of having high energy boosts followed by sharp collapses. Don’t be embarrassed about needing to recharge; you are not an ox or a robot and aren’t created to be one.
- How calm is your mind when you go to sleep? What mood do you usually wake up in?
Maybe you recognize patterns that can change for the better…
Tears may fall….tears can be healing, and if tender is what you’re feeling right now, that’s ok. Yah will not despise a contrite heart. Comfort and strength from The Highest is there for you.
You want to share something to encourage someone else reading this? If so, you can in the comments or along your walk. You might be given the words to share that someone else needs to hear through you today. But if that feels awkward or too much right now, no worries. Thanks for reading, sharing time here and hopefully growing through the questions in today’s post.
Related post: The Work At Home Life
‘WHO ARE YOU BECOMING AS YOU PURSUE YOUR DREAM? | HONEST CHECKLIST’ was first published on itsjoywithin.com
11 thoughts on “Who are you becoming as you pursue that dream? | Honest checklist”
Great questions, I really like number 7 about conversations with others👌 In the ‘rest and refresh’ I meditate, it helps me.
Lovely! Yep, #7 was a wake-up call for me before. i used to jabber on about music non-stop to friends then who weren’t even in that field and took awhile to realize it. Thanks for reading and sharing Kellie; love seeing you here.
What a comfort I found in reading your words this morning. Thoughtful questions that didn’t scare me but that I need to think about and answer. I enjoy being creative; some crafts and sharing ideas on my blog. I’ve not found the umph to learn how to turn that into a business. Not sure that’s even my calling. I’m really just thanking you for this today.😊
Thanks so much for your kind comment, sweet Lorie. I’m going and growing through these questions slowly again today too, so with you on the journey. You’ll find it; just take your time and don’t let the process intimidate you. Thanking you too *virtual hug*
Great post, questions and food for thought
Thanks for reading and sharing. I appreciate it and you.
Another great read! I’ll answer these questions during my journaling time! Thank you for this meditation!! 🌺
Very welcome. Have a beautiful day!
In my experience, the more I pursue my dreams, while at the same time helping those who work with me pursue theirs, the more I become my true self.
love this and can relate. Shining together. Thanks for sharing!